JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch6 Slow to charge?

(Topic created: 08-14-2023 05:20 PM)
MJDaniels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I received my Galaxy Watch6 and it's running fine. The setup was pretty easy, same as the Watch5. 

My question is this, it takes what I consider to be an inordinate amount of time to recharge the watch and was wondering if this is typical? I'm using a Samsung 25W charger. How long should it take to recharge say from 38% to 100%? it's taking mine hours (2-3) to fully charge.

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MJDaniels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

9/24/2023 Update...

The replacement charging cable finally arrived on 9/21. It only took 4 weeks to arrive from Samsung's warranty location in Texas.

I've now recharged the watch twice using the new cable and it did cut the times to charge to 100% significantly. For example, to go from 21% to 100% charge took about 68 minutes. Using the old cable took a couple of hours.

For me, the cable was the culprit and root cause of the slow charge problem, therefore I accept this as the solution in my situation.

View solution in context

0 Likes
12 Replies
Grayo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello! It could be to reduce wear and tear on the battery to increase its life expectancy. Its important to make sure the cable isn't defective or damaged and to use the original charger if possible. If you personally think its a defect, you can backup your watch to Samsung Cloud, reset the watch, then restore it, and if you think the product is defective, you should reach out to the Samsung warranty team who can get your watch swapped out for a replacement. I don't have a Watch6 though so I can't vouch whether that charging time is normal for the model or not.

0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
That is not normal, have you registered your watch in the members app and are able to run the Watch Diagnostics.
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch
The GW 6 only charges at 10W. Charging from 38% to 100% does take some time.
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Which Watch 6 do you have?
0 Likes
MJDaniels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks all for your inputs!

I did all the diagnostics that you all suggested, and everything came back "normal". Also, I spoke with Samsung Tech Support.  They were really helpful and agreed and said the recharge time should have taken an hour at the most. They remoted into my cell phone (Galaxy S10+) and ran their diagnostics on the phone and watch, pretty fascinating to see their resulting report. Every aspect they checked, passed. Today I recharged the watch to 100% from 73% just to have another data point, and it took way less than an hour. So, I'll watch it (no pun intended) over the next several days and see if maybe my clumsy fingers need to be a little more careful when putting the charger disk in place. If the issue persists, I'll reset the watch and check again. Will post any relevant updates to the thread as they come up.

@Robin621k ...The Watch 6 that I have is the standard one (not the classic)

Thanks

0 Likes
samsamsamsamsamsam
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm having the exact same issue. I put it on the charger, come back hours later and it's barely charged. I then have to re-seat it on the charger and away it goes. I think it's a matter of the charging connections on the bottom not connecting correctly with the charging puck.

0 Likes
MJDaniels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Recharging continues to be slow, about 1/2 the speed published by Samsung. Here are a couple more data points as the slow charge issue continues:

8/16/23 - 1 hr. 20 minutes to bring to 100% from 55%

8/17/23 - 1 hr. to bring to 100% from 60%

Would anyone be kind enough to add specific data points they to this thread as a comparison?

After discussion w/Samsung, they sent me a return label to repair/replace the watch under warranty. We'll see how this goes.

0 Likes
MJDaniels
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

An update,

8/29/23; After a call to Samsung (SS) on 8/16, they had me return the watch as the representative stated that it should take 1-1/2 hours to do a full 100% charge and 30 minutes to charge it 45%. The watch was returned to SS. 

I now have it back from their warranty folks. Outstanding 1st class customer service I might add. They found nothing wrong with the watch while on the bench. However, after rechecking, it still takes over an hour to recharge 45% and 1-1/2 hours to recharge 65%.

Today, another call placed into SS, this time they are going to send me a new charge cable to try. I'm a little surprised they didn't test the original cable along with the watch, but it is what it is.

An update to follow after I try this replacement cable.

0 Likes
Members_gY5yPkO
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

watch6 has a "feature" that turns on wifi in the background while charging. absolutely moronic. to disable, activate developer options. In the developer options menu, turn off "auto wifi while charging". cut my charge time in half. and if you're not doing your homework in XDA Developers forum, you're not doing your homework.

0 Likes