JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy watch 4 and how it works

(Topic created: 05-09-2022 05:03 PM)
userfyYFttyVzU
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am trying to understand how the galaxy watch 4 works.  

I want to use the fall detection feature of the watch 4 for my mom.  Currently she has a voice only flip phone on a pay as you go plan and she has no data.  She has internet and WIFI at her home plus a landline.

If I buy the galaxy watch 4 will it report to me, or others, if she falls and cannot not get up?  Will it work at home over the WIFI?  Will it work on the go by tying into the pay as you go flip phone?  Or does it work on its own without me requiring a separate voice and data plan.

Please help me understand what is required to make this device work.

Thanks

Doug

0 Likes
6 Replies
Scubadog200
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
You didn't mention if the model of the Galaxy Watch 4 you got was the LTE version (built-in phone). If it is, then, yes, you'd need to make sure it has a line and service with her cell provider. If she only has the bluetooth/wifi version (like I have), then you can still use the feature (Go into the Galaxy Wear app, go to Watch Settings, Advanced Features, then When hard fall detected. It's there that you can tell the watch what to do/Whom to call. This will only if her flip phone has Bluetooth capability and can link up with the watch. If it detects a hard fall it will use Bluetooth to have the phone call whomever was configured.
0 Likes
userfyYFttyVzU
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks for that.  I had no idea there were different versions.  Every single sales person I spoke with failed to mention that.  It sounds like the blue tooth version will work.

0 Likes
Scubadog200
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
I really hate it when sales people either don't actually know the product they're selling or are intentionally elusive on important features.
0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching. I can certainly understand the importance of knowing how the device works and the features that are available. One thing to remember, that no matter which Galaxy watch 4 she gets, her flip phone would be required to be able to download the Galaxy wearables app in order for the fall detection feature to work. 

Here is a list of the features that are required in order for the phone to be compatible with the Galaxy watch 4: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082502/

Give this link a try for a more detailed explanation of how fall detection works and the process to set up fall detection on any of the Galaxy watch 4 watches: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087244/

Scubadog200
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Let me clear something up... Even if the watch model you bought her was the LTE version (which would be a waste, if you didn't also set it up with service and a line) you should still be able to use the bluetooth feature to get the fall detection to work with her flip phone. It really just depends on what sort of interaction the flip phone supports. You can test it by establishing the BT connection between it and the watch and see if the watch is able to send/receive phone calls.
0 Likes
Joseph68
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
If a fall is detected it sends out text message to four people that you choose with the individuals location. Then it will call a person that you designate to call when a fall is detected.
0 Likes