JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung abandoning watch 3

(Topic created: 07-13-2021 06:55 AM)
Jetsouth
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Bought my watch 3 last year when it was released and now I read  Samsung is merging tizen with wear OS starting with next generation and all previous models will receive 3 years of tizen support. Translation: you'll get security patches but no new innovative upgrades or apps. Why would they put that kind of effort into an operating system that will be dead in less than 3 years? 

I'm not upgrading a perfectly working watch. They should at least offer the upgrade to the new OS for the watch 3. 

Way to go go Samsung! 

9 Replies
Momohirai
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I agree
0 Likes
Adaboy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
If they offer upgrades for 3 more years that will be great. Hopefully the upgrades to Samsung health, HR, O2 and such apps will continue as well.
0 Likes
JABrooks
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I only paid $278 for mine and that's way too much for a watch with basically no working apps. My wife's Apple Watch 6 blows this thing away. Luckily I just bought it a few weeks ago so it is going back.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
My 5 year old Gear S3 Frontier a week ago received an software update
Gritzy21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I don't understand it either and it's a bit disappointing especially considering the functionality of the Wear OS. I'd love to see Samsung go all in on Tizen across the board but Google/Android just has too much power. Hua Wei took a huge hit when they lost access to Android. From what I've read though they're actually developing their own OS that's remarkably similar. It's a different story with Samsung though because they have probably the largest and most diverse portfolio out of any consumer electronics manufacturers (not to mention being the 2nd largest microchip manufacturer in the world)
BanditTA
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I agree. I love the Mystic Bronze color. I have the matching set: Note 20 Ultra, Watch 3, and Buds Live. I hope Samsung can change the OS on the Watch 3 to WearOS, but if not, then, they need to release Watch 4 in Mystic Bronze.
0 Likes
Werewolfhero
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yeah it kinda lousy news. learned about it a month or two after finally uprgading from go fit2 pro. (Got tired of replacing charging terminals)
0 Likes
mainsail
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I guess we will never see BP added to the galaxy 3 watch
0 Likes
Solution
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.