Original topic:

Samsung pay on Watch 4 requires pin with unlocked device after update

(Topic created: 07-15-2024 10:41 AM)
Mebe83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Is anyone else all of a sudden since the last update having to enter in their pin to use Samsung pay when your watch is already unlocked???

LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@jlzimmerman If your watch thinks that you have taken the watch off your arm, you will need to unlock it. It sounds like your watch thinks that this is happening. 

0 Likes
jlzimmerman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thank you for this. I always have my watch on my arm. I can't even access my watch face without putting in a pin. I guess my watch is hosed.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@jlzimmerman Try this.

1. Swipe down on the watch face.
  2. Click the gear icon to open settings
  3. Click on Security and privacy
  4. Turn off Wrist detection 
0 Likes
jlzimmerman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I reset my watch this morning and still prompts for the pin/pattern just to display the watch, but I will try your suggestion and see if that helps. Thank you.
0 Likes
jlzimmerman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Nope, turning off wrist detection has not helped. I still have to enter a pin/pattern anytime I want to view anything on my watch.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
May I suggest 2 things? 1) make sure the sensor area is clean on the underside of the watch and 2) make sure your watch band isn't too loose.
0 Likes
BeS0x51
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the same issue, but only with Samsung Pay. GPay works as expected. If the watch is unlocked I can use it right away without any additional pin. That's why I believe that it is a Samsung Pay "security feature", but I agree with what someone else said in the thread, this is rather a anti-security feature. Forcing me to enter the pin while standing in a groups of people in a shop doesn't increase the security, quite the opossite, it allows people to get the pin and later steal my watch.

0 Likes
LostCursor
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've faced this issue and I can confirm that it's not happening because of wrist detection.

The Samsung Pay app on the watch now has a separate pin that you need to enter in addition to the screen unlock pin. What I find most annoying is using my watch as a transport card now, because I have to make sure that the app is unlocked before I can tap in and out. 

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

You will all be happy to know that there was a new update to Samsung Pay plugin the other day and the secondary PIN requirement was removed.  If your watch is unlocked, you will not have to enter a PIN to use Samsung Pay any longer.

0 Likes
Members_opjy4MM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

There is an annoying issue with the security lock feature that must complement Samsung Pay being active on the Samsung Watch. It's completely understandable for a passcode lock to be present when a mobile payment option is active on the watch. The issue, however, is that the watch randomly places itself in a 'locked' state throughout the day. The watch randomly believes it has been removed from the wrist, placing itself in a locked state.

This is an issue I'm encountering every single day, without fail.  The watch is securely on my wrist, but between 5-10 times throughout the day, it locks itself for no apparent reason.  When the watch is locked, I miss out on important notifications from texts, emails, or other sources, which means having to unlock the watch numerous times throughout the day for no reason.  Also, after the watch has been on its charging dock, and you place it back on your wrist, sometimes you have to unlock the watch multiple times in a row before it stays unlocked. 

This needs immediate fixing!  Why does the entire watch need to be locked, when specific apps should call for a passcode instead?  If I'm required to input a passcode each time I use Samsung Pay on my watch, why then does the watch need a lock also?  Having to input a passcode numerous times throughout the day is tiresome and pointless.  It's frustrating wanting to use a feature on the watch, only to look down and find out that it's locked and I have to entire a passcode over and over.