JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Sensor cover came off on the Galaxy watch line

(Topic created: 08-25-2020 08:27 AM)
userYP50geBk05
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I bought my smartwatch in May 2020. In August 2020 the sensor cover came off. I was able to send it off and have it repaired at no charge.  Today, a month after the warranty expired, I was wiping off the underside of the watch with a damp paper towel before I put it on the charger, and the cover came off. AGAIN. 

I don't mind paying for repair service but the cost estimator says it's going to be $81.  To glue the sensor cover back on. AGAIN. That's about a third of what I paid for the thing.

I don't think so. What a ripoff. I'm irritated and disappointed at what a piece of junk - and what a hassle to deal with - this watch has turned out to be.

442 Replies
jaymaj13
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same issue.  Active2.  Bought July 2020.  Cover came off August 2020.

Hey moderators, please pass this issue up the chain. 

The glue for the sensor covers does not hold up to heat and moisture.

Active2 is rated for heavy exercise use and is suppose to be water resistant.  It is not even sweat resistant.

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

To set up a service repair for the watch, you can call customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
majon2
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Why are you spreading lies? You know very well that there will be no repair unless you are willing to pay almost $300.00 

You have no customer service and you are scamming people every day stating that a waterresistant watch has water damages so no warranty. And your answer to me after I send you my ticket number that you couldn't do anything because a diagnostic by a technician cannot be reverse. What a joke.

0 Likes
userjRh6u6FGXQ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

The back sensor cover fell off my Galaxy S3 watch today. It's 18 months old so no hope of a warranty. I've never worn it in the water, even take it off to wash dishes! So disappointed to see it's a known issue. I guess it's back to Fitbit for me. Their customer service rocks. I had a problem with one of their products and they sent me a new one no problem. 

Sophierammer
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

GO BACK TO FITBIT...The back sensor cover slid off my wrist when I was sitting at a table. No water damage the back just slid off my wrist.  When I called Samsung they suggested a You Broke It We Fix It repair shop.  When I called the repair shop they suggested I call Samsung and tell them to stop sending people to their store because the store only fixes Phones not Watches.  So, I called Samsung a second time.  I gave Samsung the suggestion after they gave me the link to the same repair store a second time. I was on the phone with them for hours and chatting on line at the same time. Finally, they asked me to send in my watch and they would fix at no charge.  I got an email from Samsung asking fo $117.00 for the repair.  I told them there was nothing wrong with the watch except for the back sensor panel slip off.  Samsaung said there was water damage to the watch and also a button was not working. The watch never saw any water except for the sweat from my wrist.  There is nothing wrong with the watch just the sensor panel slid off.  I told them to send the watch back.  you are right about the Fitbit. It works the best.  I have had my Fitbit for 5 years and used it everyday no problem. Holds a charge for 10 days.

userHUt6fK3WJK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

The sensor cover for my galaxy watch active 2 came off for the second time in three months and I am really upset by the whole situation. I ordered galaxy watch active 2 back in March of this year. At the end of June, the back cover that covers the sensor came off. I was using my watch as an everyday device as well as for my workouts. I was surprised that the problem developed so quickly, but I contacted Samsung support and they were very nice in assisting me with my return for repair. I got my watch back in early July. Mid August, the same problem developed and the sensor cover came off again. I contacted Samsung support again and was cleared to send the device for repairs. On August 20 I sent out the device for repair to Samsung. On August 22 I received an email with a bill for repair services. I was trying to contact Samsung for several days, trying to figure out what the problem was, spending valuable time that I could spend working or studying. The support pointed out that the sensor cover repair was not covered by warranty. That’s very interesting considering that the first time I sent the device in for repairs everything was covered. Secondly, the warranty statement states a 1 year warranty on watch. The back cover is part of the watch and hence is covered under warranty. Additionally they found some kind of scratches on the device which was unexpected for me considering the devise was lightly used and well packed for shipment. Now Samsung is calling me everyday stating that I have to pay $81.12 for the problem or otherwise my device will be sent back to me unrepaired. To me, this problem is clearly a manufacturing defect and probably has to do with the quality of components that Samsung is using for this device, specifically the glue in this case. I am really upset that such well respected company as Samsung can engage in such questionable practices with regards to quality to their devices and their customer support. This forum has pages upon pages of discussions of exactly the same problem, and several threats created describing this exact problem. <edit>

0 Likes
JohnRichard
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Just experienced the same problem... the back cover fell off our Active 2 without any abuse/actions on our part.

@userHUt6fK3WJK   Have you had any resolution from Samsung?

0 Likes
onetiredmama
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Where can I buy the adhesive for the back sensor?
0 Likes
drac77
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Making the bed this morning my wife found her back plate stuck to the sheets. She doesn't even get it wet when it rains. Just looks like bad glue quality and even worse quailty control by Samsung. It was a Christmas gift 2019, so I expect zero resistance when I start this repair process.
0 Likes
userzEqJjRuRFx
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I bought this watch for hundreds of dollars and was really disappointed when the glue dissolved, the glass fell off, and when I read up on it online I saw how Samsung is dealing with the problem (lying about voided warranties from moisture that obviously comes from a defective adhesive, and charging people MORE THAN THE WATCH IS WORTH to fix it.) I love Samsung's products, but the design and support for this issue is appaling.

I fixed mine for good by ditching the glass and filling the hole with a special skin contact-safe resin that is as smooth as glass and absolutely watertight. Has worked like a charm so far. Would do it ten times over again and I expect it to last forever with no issues. 

If anyone is interested in getting their watched fixed this way for cheap, feel free to reach out to me at my email <Hidden>

20200910_091826.jpg