JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unable to back up Galaxy watches manually on One UI 5, backs up via Smart Switch

(Topic created: 08-08-2023 09:41 PM)
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch

Why in the world would you take away the ability to back up our watches manually in the Wearable app? Make it make sense, I have to wait for what is now "PERIODICALLY" to back up my watch, how often is periodically? If you switch to store backups to Samsung Cloud, how does that work, when does that happen?

If anyone knows the answer please let me know!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Deanos
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

OK!
So I may have a solution to this stupid backup issue!

I have been struggling for days now!
After reading through all the various posts about the backups not working and needing Smart Switch and bla bla bla... I did a thing!

I have a S21FE and a Watch 5.
I have always had Smart Switch installed, but when you go in it just says send or receive data... Confusing no!
I tried stopping the app, clearing the app data and cache. Still no luck!
I go into the backup on the wear app and it tells me there are no backups!
On the watch though, in settings, backups... It shows a last failed back and has red writing saying couldn't backup watch data!

So. I think I may have fixed it now!

I uninstalled the Smart Switch app. 
Then when I went back into the Wear app, it then had a thing there asking me to install Smart Switch to enable backups, which I did.

It ran through various checks for the app looking on the phone, and then looking or the app on the watch.

After all of that, took about 2 minutes or so, I went back into the backups in the wear app and it now showed me that last backup from October sometime!

I left it for a bit, went back into the Wear app and now it tells me that my watch isn't being backed up because of an existing backup for the same model!
And to fix this I must restore or replace that backup!
I hit replace backup and then it flashed a message saying backups happen during the night!

So all looks good again!

If you don't hear back from me tomorrow, then everything worked and is now fixed!

I guess this will have to be done or checked after every update and I believe the December update is due out any day...

So good luck guys and girls, I hope this helps some that have been having the same issues...

***** UPDATE! *****

Backups are now fully functional!
Tried the same on my wifes watch and phone and her backups are now also working.

So hope this helps a few!

If it does, hit the like button!

View solution in context

164 Replies
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
Is this just with the Watch 6 or all
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
For now Watch 6 and those in WoS beta
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
Great, thats me then, I wasn't able to check because my watch 5 pro isn't connected to my phone atm so those settings are grayed out
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
I don't trust auto backups I prefer to backup my self
NoneYa916
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yeah, got to agree. I just added my watch to the beta earlier this morning and yeah I can no longer manually do a back up.
0 Likes
uservDEU5x3dpv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Experiencing same issue with Watch 4. It sucks. There are situations where I need to backup my watch now, right before I make changes to it.
ludvigpujsek
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Unfortunately also Watch 5 pro. It would constantly prompt me to download Smart Switch (I use a Zenfone 9 by ASUS), and once I did, it just refuses to do a backup (two weeks in and nothing) and I have to RMA my phone because of a defect, so... Guess I'm resetting my watch...

VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Robin621k I also found this. Not sure if it's 100% accurate.

Backups will occur when:

• It's been at least 24 hours since the last backup

• Your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.

• Your phone has over 30% battery

• Your watch has over 15% battery

• Both screens are off

Members_vwIVZlJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Only on Samsung phones. It's unbelievable. Never buying Samsung again.