JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

WATCH 5's BPM is inaccurate when cycling.

(Topic created: 09-08-2023 10:09 AM)
lstoch
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

WATCH 5

I have had my bpm checked against a stress ECG by my cardiologist.  The result of the test was that the watch is accurate when I'm running.

However, the watch registers a maximum BPM of around 210 and an average of around 175 when cycling - clearly an issue, particularly as I'm 71 years old and feel no discomfort or exhaustion when cycling.

I have a loop recorder that has been inserted in my chest.  This gives my cardiologist detailed data of pulse rate and any heart irregularities.  At no stage has the highly accurate loop recorder indicated a heart rate exceeding 150bpm.

My questions are:

• is anyone else experiencing unrealistically high BPM recordings when cycling?
  • might the vibrations in the handlebars be causing bpm error readings?

I hope someone can provide some information in this regard.

Regards

11 Replies
Osprey102
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Asteroid. I have exactly the same issue with my Pro 5 which indicates very inaccurate (high) HR when road cycling.  I have noticed however that when I first select the "Cycling" activity,  GPS locks in, but Auto Paused as I have not moved off yet, that the watch already shows my heart rate has "rocketed" to 140 bpm when it's actually c 70bpm.   This suggests to me that it's not road vibrations but something to do with the watch's "activity" algorithm when in this mode.  Readings remain higher (up to 178bpm!!) for the rest of my ride.  Same thing happens when "Walking" but strangely not when in "Exercise Bike" mode. Makes this function of the watch absolutely useless. Have tried tighter/looser strap settings, resetting watch (but not Factory reset yet).  

0 Likes
lstoch
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks for this.  I agree, totally useless!

It would be great if someone from Samsung is monitoring this thread and would care to comment.

0 Likes