cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userCTalpapTSo
Constellation

Samsung gear s3 and water ?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I want to know if my gear s3 frontier is waterprof ... can i make shower or get into the sea with the watch?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Samsung gear s3 and water ?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Gear S3 is not waterproof. It is water resistant, and has an IP68 rating on it. Here's a great chart for what those rating numbers mean - http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

I believe the watch itself is up to 5m for a short period of time, so you may want to be careful. It also states normal liquid like water, but be aware that certain stuff can cause more damage or corrosion depending on what's inside the liquid.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

68 REPLIES 68
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Gear S3 is not waterproof. It is water resistant, and has an IP68 rating on it. Here's a great chart for what those rating numbers mean - http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

I believe the watch itself is up to 5m for a short period of time, so you may want to be careful. It also states normal liquid like water, but be aware that certain stuff can cause more damage or corrosion depending on what's inside the liquid.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

MemphisReins29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What about the Samsung Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier ?

Is it waterproof or do both models come with the same water resistant build ?

useru6Ce4ukvoT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Gear S3 is not waterproof, nor water-resistant. I used the device while exercising, took care to dry it off and wore it as my everyday timing device. Then, one day the screen went black. The device is 7 months old. I sent the watch in for repair assuming that Samsung would honor their product and was told that due to water damage my watch was not covered. The repair center quoted $215.00 for the repair. I was a loyal Samsung customer. No more. DO NOT GET THIS PRODUCT! I'm very disappointed in Samsung and I feel so ripped off! 

Highlighted
useru6Ce4ukvoT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It is not water-resistant! Mere sweat from your body will cause the watch to get water damage and this will give Samsung the excuse to use the "water-damage, therefore warranty breached" argument to avoid replacing their defective product. I know because Samsung used this excuse with me when my S3 Gear was sent in for repairs after my screen went black after 7 months of wear. The product has major flaws and it is a waste of good money if you buy the Gear S3. Samsung will not stand behind their product. At least they did not with me. Steer clear from this device and research Apple products, instead! 

userIDusXk8dvQ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My gear 3 frontier watch went black screen on me. I sent it to Samsung and they said "unrepairable due to liquid damage". I never submersed, shower, go swimming, pour water on the watch. It has never seen water or moisture other than being n my wrist when working out. I have 8 months left on the warranty and they will not honor. Did I mention that nothing more than sweat has touched this watch that is supposed to be ip68 water resistance and submersible for 30 minutes. What's my recourse?

userptBi3cVxXw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm in this I'm in the same boat as you. They gave me that same BS response. I spoke to a supervisor and she said she was as high up as they go. There must be some other person I can contact because I am quite ticked off!

userptBi3cVxXw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Clearly there is some sort of design flaw within the watch. And I'm sure they are working their best to sweep it under the rug.
user4waaaW2TzC
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
bbb
user5cWFaXQKE1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was drawn to this site because I too am experiencing the exact same scenario. My S3 Frontier has NEVER BEEN SUBMERGED in anything.  I wore while I was on the driving range last Friday and it got stuck in an endless boot loop. I was instructed to send it in, then was notified that it was unrepairable due to liquid damage. How in the heck does a water resistant watch that's also a fitness tracker get damaged by sweat?! 😂. This is a joke, right?  

I've been a Samsung evangelist for over 20 years, but this deals a serious blow to my loyalty.  Just when I was all set to buy a Note 9 this Friday,  this forces me to give serious consideration to my future in the Samsung universe. Total disappoint .