Original topic:

TV does not turn on through HDMI CEC

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
wangvictorh
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Just bought a Samsung S95D and the TV  does not reliably turn on through HDMI CEC ... I've tried using an Apple TV and a Playstation 5, both of which are set to turn the TV on through HDMI CEC and have the appropriate cables to do so (i.e. both of these devices turned my previous Samsung Q90T on without any issues prior to this TV).

This seems to be an issue  when the TV is off for more than an hour ... if the TV was just recently turned off (e.g. in the past hour), the Apple TV and the Playstation 5 are both able to turn the TV on. Anything more than an hour, the TV does not turn on successfully through these two devices

0 Likes
5 Replies
george3401
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs
Cable comes on by it self
0 Likes
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Hello! @wangvictorh Thank you so much for posting about this! I completely understand your concerns about the TV not turning on reliably through HDMI. I'll be more than delighted to assist. If you're using multiple HDMI-CEC devices try disconnecting one and see if the issue persists. Check your HDMI-CEC settings: Go to TV's Settings menu> Navigate to the "External Device Manager" or " General settings". Ensure that "HDMI-CEC "is enabled. Also, check to see if your firmware is up to date. Go to Settings> Support> Software.

If none of the above work you can Factory reset the unit( as a last resort). Here's a link you might find helpful: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077524/

Please let us know if this helps.

Be sure to click " āœ“ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
wangvictorh
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I've tried reconnecting the HDMI cables on both devices and that does not seem to help.

I've also confirmed that HDMI CEC is on ... and have even cycled it off and on to make sure that the setting is truly on. 

I've also confirmed that I am on the latest firmware for my Television (e.g. Firmware 1120).

I've also tried power cycling the Television and the HDMI devices ... I've also factory reset the television and I still have the issue.

It feels like there's some "deep sleep" setting that is preventing the TV from turning on after 1+ hour of being off ... because HDMI CEC does work through my Apple TV and PS5 if the TV was only recently off (e.g. < 1 hour). Turning the TV on in this specific scenario is possible through HDMI CEC

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Thank you for that information. I would like to verify a few things with you. The issues are with devices different from AppleTV and PS5 or are they causing the trouble?  Are you connecting the devices directly to the television or are you using a splitter or receiver? 

0 Likes
Frank Roos
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I have exactly the same problem.

0 Likes