JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Inquiry before purchasing SSD to avoid another mistake

(Topic created: 01-21-2023 11:50 AM)
JohnCoool
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I bought cheap SSDs two times as per recommendations from shop owners for my two systems but in all cases the SSD write speed was very bad.

The write speed would drop off on one model down to 30 and the other model down to 8MB/s.

One is 25% full and the other has 80% full drive.

I saw several videos for Samsung SSDs that did not seem to face this issue at all.

The computers that I am using do not have NVME interface. So they are the standard 2.5 disks.

Can I get confirmation that I won't face this issue if I purchase the Samsung EVO 860 SSD?

13 Replies
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

@JohnCoool 

I have always had good, consistent results with Samsung drives. There is a reason they're one of the top, if not the very top, SSD manufacturers in the world. I think you'll be happy with them.

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"

JohnCoool
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Capture.JPGFrom HD to SSD.pngFrom SSD to HDD.png

The Samsung SSD update!

So the drives arrived yesterday and performed poorly.

I tested them as a primary and as a secondary and did not get good results. On the benchmark test they did better than the other SSDs but in real test they did worse.

Then I downloaded the Samsung SSD tool known as Samsung Magician and found an option to go into RAPID mode which will basically enable DRAM. Then benchmark test showed write speeds of over 2000 MB/s but it did not reflect in a real copy paste test. I still got the same slow speeds.

The Samsung Magician shows that the drives have genuine firmware and up to date.

It is time to get an official from Samsung on this thread. 

Can someone on this thread get one to join here or to tell me how to get in touch with the support.

I have attached 3 images. The Benchmark results. From HD to SSD and from SSD to HD. The faster one is the SSD to HD.

Solution
JohnCoool
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Nevermind!

I found the cause of the slow performance.

I keep my partition on compressed from properties. I guess it was compressing the files while writing them.

Once I removed it and restarted all went back to normal.

Had to process the the uncompressed files for C.

Usually this process causes up to 50% defragmentation.

The 2 cheaper drives that I bought before the Samsung stop performing when it reached 50% but it does not seem to happen with Samsung.

So I am Satisfied.

0 Likes
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Monitors and Memory
Interesting to know that was an issue on other brands... I don't use it and wouldn't have noticed. I was under the impression that it improved drive performance and longevity in most cases where the processor could handle it on regular SSD so I may mess around with it on a single "busy" directory like %TEMP% to trace r/w activity and see what is doing since I have the teamgroup NVMe drives.
0 Likes