JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Odyssey G9 Cannot Upgrade Firmware - No USB devices detected

(Topic created: 10-05-2020 04:28 PM)
userDNVYlwhx7X
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Greetings, I am trying to update the firmware on my G9.  I have tried 6 or 7 different USB devices ranging from old USB 2.0 1GB devices to USB 3.0 32GB devices. Each time I get the same response from the montior "No USB devices detected".  I verified I am in the port labeled "Service" which if you are facing the monitor (like you are using it) is on the far left hand side.  Thank you.

EDIT - I tried using an old stick that was 500MB but had an access light on it.  I notice that light comes on for a fraction of a second when the stick is first inserted into the service port but it never comes on during the update process.

EDIT #2 - Using a usb extension cable I was able to watch the stick the whole time through the update process.  The access light does flash for another fraction of a second but I just get the same message each time.

EDIT #3 - Tried another old drive that has an access light on it.  This one the light stays long so long as I am plugged into the service port.  However, same error.

20 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

How are the sticks formatted?

0 Likes
userDNVYlwhx7X
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have tried:

-FAT

-FAT32

-NTFS

I finally got it to say "No update file found" a few times.  So apparently it was able to read one of the drives but not reliably.  I got that messages twice (not sure why because the img file was there on the root) before it went back to "No USB devices detected".  In the case where it looked like it could not find the file (but read the stick) I was using a small 2GB stick formatted FAT32.

ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

And nothing else is plugged into the other usb ports?

0 Likes
userDNVYlwhx7X
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

That is correct.

Also, I have a handful of old 2GB devices.  It seems if I freshly format one and put the files on it, the monitor will read it a few times as I get the cannot find file error vs no usb devices detected and then it will start just constantly giving me no usb devices error.  

I have the file on the drive so when I actually do get it to read it I am not sure why it does not find it nor do I have any earthly clue why it will only read the drive a few times and then go back to complaining about no usb devices detected.  I am at a total loss.

I have ordered 2 new drives from Amazon (1 Sandisk and 1 Samsung) in hopes something new works but I am just grasping at straws at this point.

KrazePendragon
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you extract the file ? 

When I downloaded mine it was zipped and I extracted it using 7zip

The filename I have on my USB that worked is called M-T9549GGAA-1006.2[BC89]

And I had to Format my USB drive to FAT32

0 Likes
userDNVYlwhx7X
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes I have been formatting for Fat32 and yes I have extracted the file.  Although to be technical about it I had the same filename although it ended with .img   .

I just keep getting "no usb drive detected" over and over again like it does not see the drive.  But that is an assumption on my part, that error could show for anything who knows.  Well except for the 3 or so times it acted like it read it and said it could not find the file (even though it was on there).

But I am using a USB stick right now with a light on it and it does appear to be accessing the drive give the activity of the light.

I have 2 new sticks coming in today I will try (all my sticks are a few years old to several years old).

0 Likes
userDNVYlwhx7X
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Good news! I got the 2 new USB sticks in and the first one I tried worked the first time!  I am now running 1006.2 !

The stick that worked I bought because I had seen it mentioned on reddit that others with USB issues on this monitor got this stick to work.  And the same is for me.  I have no idea why, its just FAT32 (I did not format it I used the factory setup), its USB 2.0 (like several other sticks I tried), it's from Sandisk (others I tried were as well)  and it is 16GB.

Here is a link to the stick on Amazon incase someone else needs it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YX9O9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

user1xkXJ0ttbN
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

having all these same problems. tried that cruzer glide. tried USB 3.0s 3.1s still no luck. tried different formatting methods. tried extracting the zip inside the usb. tried it all. i believe i have bad usb ports. my serial number is also unrecogonzibale to Samsung.

user0HT5xfJhuV
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

What version are you currently running? You need to download 1006.2 then 1008.1 for it to work. I used the sandisk cruiser and it worked instantly. Also be sure to plug it in the service port

0 Likes