Original topic:

Samsung SSD 990 Pro Firmware to 1B2QJXD7 Update Failing on one of two drives

(Topic created: 02-14-2023 06:36 PM)
scyto
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Magician offered me the new 990 Pro firmware 1B2QJXD7

This worked on my first 990 drive just fine.

It fails on my second 990 - it appears to work, there are no errors it reboots the PC, and then it is evident the firmware didn't apply and i get offered it again.

Neither drive is the C: drive and controlled folder access is turned off.

There are no obvious errors in the SVC log..

Any ideas?

9 Replies
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello scyto

Can you post screen shots of the information shown under the update section and the drive details in Samsung Magician?

scyto
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

of course, thanks for the prompt reply

scyto_0-1676414796612.png 

scyto_1-1676414887629.png

and for reference here is the drive details of the one that worked 

scyto_2-1676414929928.png

and here is the connection details...

scyto_0-1676415368137.png

0 Likes
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Swap the 2 990's in their M2 slots and try again.

Magician is indicating you are running the drives at Gen 2 and also not happy with the Intel drivers.

I use 8 Samsung NVME's in my gamer using Microsoft's generic driver with no issues.

alex2132
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

This worked for me! thanks  a lot!

I had the same issue with the my 2nd 990 SSD (in slot 2) not updating the firmware on my XPS 15 9520. Swapped the 2 SSDs around so the one failing to update is in Slot 1, and then it updated.

0 Likes
scyto
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

yup this fixed it, stupid bloody software 🙂

thanks!

0 Likes
scyto
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Also magician is wrong it's not running at gen 2 (benchmarks show them to be running at full speed).

Seem that software like crystal diskinfo and magician are confused by the M2 connection on this chipset / os revisions.

I suspect because i have the drives mapped under VMD but i am not sure.

0 Likes
alk7mist
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

>I suspect because i have the drives mapped under VMD but i am not sure.

You are correct, that is the issue.  Magician simply does not like addressing the drives through RAID/Intel RST/Optane drivers.  Unfortunately this update is not one that we can wait on or ignore as the longer we wait, the faster the drive health declines.

I recommend you backup your data first, and follow the steps that worked for me:

This will only work if you're using a Samsung 990 Pro that is not part of a RAID group.  That is, you have VMD enabled in the BIOS, and your M.2 NVMe devices are all single ended (non-RAID devices) 

If the drive was part of a RAID group I suppose you could disable VMD in the BIOS which effectively temporarily breaks the RAID, but I'm not sure of the consequences of upgrading the firmware, and then reenabling VMD and expecting everything to work with the data being intact.  Hence, I would highly recommend having a backup especially if you're dealing with NVMe drives in RAID in case things don't come back together after the update.

If the drive is part of a RAID group that's also the bootable OS, I don't see how this would work either because you wouldn't be able to boot the OS anymore once VMD is turned off.  In that case you're better off temporarily putting it into a different machine (non-RAID) and upgrade it there.

https://scottiestech.info/2022/08/16/how-to-remove-intel-vmd-without-reinstalling-windows

Once the drive is back on Standard NVM Express Controller, you'll be able to upgrade the firmware on the Samsung 990 Pro successfully.  

0 Likes
tooter221
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Pull the 990 that updated successfully and try again the second one

vgalino
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello, and something like update the magician software ? . because this is , clearly a bug

Regards

Victor