Original topic:

S95C eARC Bug: Dolby Digital+ Output Converted to PCM Despite Correct Settings

(Topic created: Friday)
Zero-
Constellation
Options

Since I bought the S95C, the eARC functionality has not been working properly. When set to "Auto," the output format for content in DD+ is converted to PCM. I've waited for several firmware updates, and even had the One Connect board replaced, but the problem persists.

Environment:

• S95C on any firmware (currently I'm running the latest 2000.2)
  • Any AVR or soundbar compatible with eARC
  • 2.1 certified HDMI cable connected to the eARC port on the One Connect box
  • Settings:
    • Sound -> Expert Settings -> HDMI eARC Mode: Set to "Auto"
    • Sound -> Expert Settings -> Digital Output Audio Format: Set to "Auto"

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Set up the environment as described above.
  2. Play any Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+ content through any native TV app (e.g., YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, USB file, etc.).

Expected result: The AVR or soundbar should display that the audio is in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+.

Actual result: The AVR or soundbar displays that the audio is in PCM.

Used guides: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-earc-and-how-to-set-on-samsung-smart-tv/

8 Replies
jesusfuente4
Constellation
Options

Same here with S90C. Needing a solution for a real passthrough on eARC.

bt-rtp
Constellation
Options

Same issue with my S90C running firmware 2000.2. eARC seems to be very buggy.

0 Likes
userauaqYp3VFI
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Same with my S89C internal apps and broadcasting is PCM with eArc on, DD and DD+ with off. Can get Atmos content either way.

djase
Constellation
Options

Same with my S92C + q990c.

Svet1
Constellation
Options

Here you can find same issue on 90cā€™s.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/no-dolby-digital-when-hdmi-cec-is-on-only-pcm-works-s90c/m-p/...

Iā€™m done with it and have not too much expectations to have a proper update.

0 Likes
MattyDaddy76
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Hey there! Q90C users have been dealing with this ever since the update to like 2010 or earlier. Only option you gave to make it work is to turn the HDMI -eARC mode to: OFF 

this should fix the Dolby digital only transmitting the stereo signal. With the earc auto set to off,, you should get Dolby digital etc to play without any problems. 

another option I use for dish network is to set the Digital output audio format to: Pass-through. 

for streaming, eARC mode set to off shows Dolby digital or Dolby digital Plus for everything from Netflix 5.1 shows to you tube 5.1 coded videos and even non 5.1 coded videos. Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
Zero-
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Thanks for your reply, but turning eARC off doesn't transmit Atmos. This means that if I switch from Dolby Digital (DD) to Atmos, I have to manually enable eARC, which is inconvenient. Having to be aware of the format for every movie and making these adjustments is quite frustrating. I hope Samsung addresses this issue in future updates, as it affects a lot of users.

0 Likes
AnthonyTyrael
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

It's affecting a lot of customers and equally important, several of their own product lines too, which can't be used as intended. 

0 Likes