cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Blue dot text message by contact

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does anybody know what the blue dot Is on the icon next to the person's name in the text message app? Only shows there. Only on select contacts.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Blue dot text message by contact

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

@userXtsgcad5Ta

The galaxy S10 and the Samsung messages app are RCS compatible or capable. Your carrier is also running a RCS network infrastructure.

The messages app scans your contacts and connects to your your carrier database and determines how many of your contacts are using RCS capable phones and their RCS network infrastructure. It marks the contacts with a blue dot if they have met the requirements for sending and receiving messages in chat mode.

You should be able to send and receive multiple large image files at full resolution. Also uncompressed video files and your text messages character count limit should go much higher. When you send mms and text messages to contacts without the blue marker the messages app will send and receive mms and text messages using the standard messaging format.

Best regards, 

CLF 

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's for ppl that have Samsung Galaxy phones and or are with the same company u have.. it let's u text n reply n both u can see when the other is writing or seen the text. And it helps send pix and video to each other quicker. But it's really just letn u no they have Samsung Galaxy phones

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

But my friend does not have a samsung he has lg.?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry incorrect,  my child and I have the same phones on the same network and her name does not have a blue dot next to her name. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's not quite true, there is only one contact on my phone with the dot. My husband and I have the same exact phone, same company and talk on video sometimes but there isn't a dot by his name. I have a few contacts with the same company, with androids, with Samsung and none of them have the dot. This truly is something that needs to be answered by Samsung. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It doesn't mean that they have Samsung phones. It just means that there phone is RCS compatable. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You said same company...if you could elaborate...

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What he means, is that the blue. Is next to contacts that do not have the same carrier nor the same phone as myself. I have a blue dot on two contacts one has an iPhone and I have an Android. I have a blue dot next to a contact with Verizon while I have T-Mobile. So what does the blue. Mean can Samsung answer that for us?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same company means same carrier/ service provider.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

@userXtsgcad5Ta

The galaxy S10 and the Samsung messages app are RCS compatible or capable. Your carrier is also running a RCS network infrastructure.

The messages app scans your contacts and connects to your your carrier database and determines how many of your contacts are using RCS capable phones and their RCS network infrastructure. It marks the contacts with a blue dot if they have met the requirements for sending and receiving messages in chat mode.

You should be able to send and receive multiple large image files at full resolution. Also uncompressed video files and your text messages character count limit should go much higher. When you send mms and text messages to contacts without the blue marker the messages app will send and receive mms and text messages using the standard messaging format.

Best regards, 

CLF 

View solution in original post