JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Tab S8 Ultra in for screen repair

(Topic created: 07-13-2022 01:53 PM)
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Some of you may remember when I received my Tab S8 Ultra back in April and almost immediately had it knocked off a table onto a hardwood floor.  Well that incident did not damage the tablet but less than a week later my puppy caused the same thing to happen and it did indeed crack the screen.

The edge of the glass impacted something and caused a number of cracks to radiate from that impact point, under the Glass Screen Protector.  I've used it all this time because the cracks were unnoticeable in normal use and only visible when the room light hit them from an angle...so for my use the screen was fine.

So a couple of weeks ago I remembered that my credit card had some kind of insurance with it and in fact the tablet is covered for the first 120 days so I had to get off my butt and send it in.

I created a ticket and even though I know it's not covered by the Samsung warranty, the ticketing system has this as a warranty repair and created a UPS label for it.  I chatted with Samsung twice and both times they told me that I had to use the label they provided.  I had wanted to ship it myself and put my own insurance on it but I figured that my credit card would cover any loss if the worst happens.

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated with the experience with the repair since its many years since I had anything repaired by Samsung.  I did have my Note Pro 12.2 covered under a warranty repair and it went off without incident.  Once they get the tablet which should be Wed or Thu, it's supposed to take 5-7 days to return it.

Assuming the repair goes well, I'll then chronology my attempt to get my credit card to pay for the repair under its warranty provisions.  I have never dealt with them before (Chase) so it should be interesting...wish me luck

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
16 Replies
Ariscott56
Supernova
Options
Tablets
You got this sir!
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Here's the first update.  I dropped the tablet off and a UPS drop off location Monday Afternoon July 11 and it arrived today, July13th at 10:30am.  I just received a contact email from the service center in New Jersey stating that it was under inspection at 4:42pm today.  So far things are proceeding quickly.

I'm awaiting sticker shock as I heard from another user that his screen replacement cost over $300.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
bill-e
Options
Tablets

I just received a call from Samsung and authorized the $325 repair.  What I didn't know is that the screen replacement voids the entire warranty and there is now only a 90 day warranty on my tablet.

I made a mistake sending the tablet to Samsung because of my ignorance as when I had called Ubreakfix they said that their warranty was just extended to 1 year and I assumed the same for Samsung.

If for anyone reading this post, any physical damage voids the warranty not only for the screen but also for the entire device and Samsung only offers 90 days.  Ubreakfix seems to be the better option because of the 1 year warranty they offer...lesson learned.

Bill
---
0 Likes
userK0o7rxoNJ3
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Did you get a quote online? I tried to start a service request and Samsung's website told me the repair would be $0. I don't want to send my device in for them to say "actually the repair will cost $325". Is there any way to find out what the cost will be before I actually send in my device? 

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

That's what happened tp me.  I completed the service request and then armed with it and the $0 cost I chatted with a CSA telling him that I knew that this wasn't covered by warranty and how much was it going to cost.  He told me to ship it in using the free label they provided and that I would get a call.  I pressed him for a cost and he put me on hold and then came back and said $200, which I knew was wrong based on a user here that had just paid $329 to get his repaired. 

I saw another post recently where a user was quoted the same price for an S8+ so I know that both the + and the Ultra cost that much. 

The tablet came back perfect and even though I got reimbursed through my credit card, I was prepared to pay that based on the value of the 2 week old Ultra. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
userK0o7rxoNJ3
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I cracked my S8 Ultra in the corner. Still functions well, but the crack is bothering me, so I wanted to get it repaired. I started a service request, saying I had a broken screen and the repair estimate is $0. I don't know if they'll actually repair it for $0. I tried calling support to find the actual cost but after 2 hours on the phone with different people nobody could help me at all. 

If the repair cost is $0, I'll send in my device and get it repaired. I don't want to believe the $0 quote, and then have them say I'll be $350. I'll say no to that because my device functions with a minor crack, but I'll be without my tablet for more than a week and I'll get nothing out of it. 

Why isn't the cost of this repair clearly outlined? It's a very predictable scenario, I cracked my screen because I dropped it. I have no idea how much it will cost to repair it. It says $0, and if that's true then Samsung is amazing. But there's no way they'll repair it for free. 

Why can't I just find the cost of the repair???

user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets
S8 ? Screen repair ? $0.00 dollars ?
Really ? I guess you have insurance, otherwise it's not gonna be $0.00

Take it to an authorized repair center
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

As I said in my reply to you in your  other post, $329 for the repair.  It seems that their Online form processes all claims as warranty but we know that $0 is incorrect. 

If you don't want to pay to get it repaired, install a ballistic glass screen protector.  It will slow down the migration of the crack asn maybe eve n make it dissappear from straight on viewing. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

I just received notification that the repair and test are complete.  They included their test report and a UPS tracking number. I should have it by Wed I think....actually, they must have overnighted it as it's due here tomorrow

RepairStatementRedacted.jpeg

Bill
---
0 Likes