JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Book Pro 360 and docking stations

(Topic created: 06-02-2021 01:42 PM)
userxDgJwWQA23
Constellation
Options
Computers

Hello, I have a Galaxy Book Pro 360 13.3" and I want to use it with a dock station. I already have a OWC USB-C dock,  which works amazingly with my "old" HP Spectre x360.

When trying to use it with the Samsung, it doesn't recognize the external monitor, so I am only able to charge the laptop and and use usb devices, ethernet and audio jack. I already tried with a different monitor and 2 different USB-C cables (all of them work with the HP Spectre), I also tried all 3 usb-c ports I have in my laptop. Sometimes after plugging and unplugging the USB-c cable, the Samsung recognizes the monitor and I'm able to use it, but only until I restart windows, after that it is not recognized again.

If it can help, the first time I plugged the dock, the PC was on and it didn't even start charging, so I unplugged, turned it off, and plugged again. When I turned the PC on it appeared a message saying it was installing new functionalities, probably to allow the use of a docking station. This never happened with my old HP.

Any suggestion on why there is this compatibility issue? I also have a usb-c travel hub and there is no problem with this one. Also, is there any usb-c desktop dock which is suggested for this new Galaxy Book Pro line? If there is, I will simply buy a compatible one

13 Replies
userUJSvdf43Yt
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I am having the same issue.  I have a Targus USB-C dock DOCK190USZ.  It appears to charge my laptop and my connected mouse/keyboard work - but the laptop does not recognize the monitors attached to the dock - they cycle on and off.

ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Computers
Are you using the thunderbolt port? And what about the usb settings in the SS settings app is it turned on to charge?
0 Likes
userUJSvdf43Yt
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I have used both the USB-C port and the Thunderbolt port with no difference.  The monitors are recognized by the system as displays 2 and 3 but continue to cycle between inputs and blink on and off.

0 Likes
ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Computers
Did you try the Intel command ctr app and letting it identify your monitors?
0 Likes
userUJSvdf43Yt
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Yes. The Intel Command Center App identified the monitors but did not fix the display cycling.

0 Likes
ArtDesk
Supernova
Options
Computers
And you tried the Windows 10 connect to older monitors setting?
0 Likes
userUJSvdf43Yt
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I was able to see the monitors in the Intel Command Center identified by name.  They were identified as Displays 2 and 3 on the Command Center, but clicking Identify did not make a numeral appear in either screen.  It is like there is no video signal feed going out of the laptop to the dock.  I hit Fn + F4 to extend the desktop, but no signal goes to the displays.  When I plug my Dell laptop into the dock, the screens display perfectly so I am not sure if the older monitor setting would apply.

0 Likes
Solution
userxDgJwWQA23
Constellation
Options
Computers

I finally found out a sort of solution for this problem. Neither my OWC dock nor the Targus one from another user here are working, and this probably means all these USB-C docks may have some problem with the Galaxy Book Pro 2021 lineup (this is just my assumption, I eould be curious to get an official statement by Samsung). However, I succesfully used a normal USB-C hub, traveler type, that you can buy for 20-30€ on Amazon. With these ones you can use HDMI, ethernet, usb, audio etc without any problem. This is not exactly the same as a proper dock, but at least it makes you work with an external monitor and external devices.
The real game changer was when I tried a Lenovo docking station, a Thunderbolt 3 one, the Lenovo 40AN0135EU. It works just perfect, exactly as intended, but obviously it only works with the TB3 port. If you need to buy a dock for this laptop, I suggest you look for a TB3 one, and if you want to be sure, just buy the Lenovo one, at least until Samsung itself doesn't reccomend something better.
I hope this will help a lot of people

userUJSvdf43Yt
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Thank you.  Glad to hear that the TB3 dock is working for you.  I will need to try one as well.