JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Notification sounds only play when phone is connected through Bluetooth device

(Topic created: 06-12-2019 11:22 AM)
SkyScraperC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I'm not exactly sure WHEN this started happening, but my notification sounds don't seem to be working anymore on my Samsung Galaxy S9+. This may have started after the latest update, but I'm not quite sure. All my phone does is vibrate whenever I get an incoming nofication (text, Facebook, anything, etc.) They don't even play when I'm at the settings menu to select which one I want to play to the corresponding app. The ringtone, however, plays as it should when someone calls me.

Just to clarify, I've already done everything which this video suggests to try and troubleshoot the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fjg90LIsg

The weirdest part is that when I have my phone connected to the Bluetooth stereo in my car, the notifications sounds chime the way that they should.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, any suggestions/fixes? I've looked everywhere and have been searching for answers for well over a month now.

17 Replies
SamsungJoJo
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

0 Likes
SkyScraperC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Yes, I've tried that as well, but no dice on that either.

0 Likes
user7I9pY80mkp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I found a solution. 

Download Sound Assistant app from Play Store or Samsung App Store. 

Go to Advanced Settings> Alert through headphones then your done. All the nortifications will be played through the phone speaker. 

Samsung_q1Ndp3e
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had the exact same problem! I went through and double checked that I had a ringtone set for my notifications. For me it was messenger. I found that if the screen is turned off the ringtone sounds, but if the app is open, it won't.

0 Likes
SkyScraperC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

You mean Facebook messenger?

For me it doesn't matter whether the screen is on or off, and I don't THINK messenger would be the cause, because it's effected as well. The only thing which seems to remove the problem is being connected to a Bluetooth device (such as my car stereo which I mentioned) but that's not a real fix.

0 Likes
userJYBWS9YpBV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same issue.

0 Likes
SkyScraperC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Glad to know I'm not alone, lol

0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Is this just app notifications or all notifications? Have you tried safe mode?

0 Likes
SkyScraperC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Depends on what you mean. For instance, if I press the volume button to change the ringtone, that makes a sound. But even something like a notification that my battery is running low only creates a vibration, and not a sound. Will try safe mode and give an update

0 Likes