JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Willing to share screen cap of 5G notification?

(Topic created: 02-22-2021 10:27 AM)
ViperGeek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I pre-ordered and received an unlocked GS21 Ultra 512GB, and replaced an existing phone on my existing Verizon plan.  As soon as the network recognized the new phone, it sent me to a website to upgrade my SIM for free (quite nice of the Evil Wireless Empire).

I've since been on a quest to light up my 5G network icon in the upper right corner of the phone.  According to Verizon's maps:

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

I've driven up and down major roads near my house that, in theory, are covered by what they call "5G Nationwide" (the slower, reliable one), yet have never seen the "5G" icon light up on my phone.

Can someone share with me/us a screen cap of the 5G light lit up?  And are there any tricks to getting 5G to work on the Verizon network using an unlocked GS21 Ultra with a Verizon 5G SIM installed?

Thanks!

- Dave

7 Replies
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

Take your phone to a Verizon store, and ask them.  It is possible that you are not on a 5G plan, or that the EWE website was not able to upgrade your sim, and you need to get an actual sim provisioned for 5G.  Also for the device you failed to mention 5G on your device model, Samsung does make non-5G devices, so make sure yours is a 5G one.

0 Likes
ViperGeek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 512GB (GS21), model number SM-G998U1, which is 5G-capable.  I also received a brand new 5G nano SIM card, with "5G" written all over it, FedEx'ed to me by Verizon, which was very nice of them.  So I think those two checkboxes are checked.  The plan I'm on is called "Do More Unlimited 5G UW", so that also feels 5G-capable.

If I continue to not be able to light up the "5G" status icon on my phone, I'll bring it to my friendly, local Verizon store and have them check everything out.

- Dave

bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Drive into a populous area, town or city center that's solid red and try.  My experience is that there's plenty of fringe areas on the map with no coverage.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
ViperGeek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks Bill!  Good advice.

Since I'm in the "sticks" (NH), once I drive into a solid red area, will my phone automatically switch over to a 5G band if it already has a solid LTE+ band locked 'n loaded?  Or should I pull over, go into Airplane Mode, then reestablish my connection to the mobile data network?

- Dave

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Dave, so am I.  The first places I saw it was in both Milford and Keene.  On the map where I live is red but I actually don't get any signal so those maps must be based on free space propagation and not reality.  They should drive a car like Google did and map out the actual coverage 😉

In Keene I got 60mbs down.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
Solution
ViperGeek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

5G.jpg

Oh yeah.  That's the stuff ...

Thanks @Bil.  I found a strong 5G signal in the parking lot of Applebee's on Route 101A (Amherst St.) in Nashua, NH.

- Dave

SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S21

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/26/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes