Original topic:

S22 ultra poor camera quality 108mp mode

(Topic created: 03-09-2022 02:46 PM)
userh0APv7LaMV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Hi there!

Does someone know why when I switch to 108mp mode camera takes poorer quality photos than normal mode?

S22 ultra exynos

Screenshot_20220308-180205_Gallery.jpg

 this one is normal mode

Screenshot_20220308-180214_Gallery.jpg

 this one is 108mp mode

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
tom2055
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
108MP is very useful for Pixel Binning- it combines 9 pixels into one to make a 12 MP image. This means each pixel is larger, allowing them to capture more light and detail VS a regular 12MP sensor. This could be why the regular shot looks better. However I'm not sure, it seems odd and I feel like the 108MP mode should be more detailed and less noisy. Maybe a bug since the phone just launched? Anyways you probably would be better off just using the regular mode most of the time

View solution in context

10 Replies
JDOGWIN
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Are you zoomed in at all? I know focus is an issue with mine but I have the s20 ultra where we knew focus speed was an issue
0 Likes
userh0APv7LaMV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

No zoom. Just screenshot closer.

0 Likes
JDOGWIN
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I know objects that are closer than like 6 inches to the camera tend to do that with Samsung stock camera app. But there's really not any great alternatives because it's mainly software issues. You can get great photos out of it if you fiddle with it and the numbers are there to make a difference I know the settings on the camera from factory tend to be rough so playing with that makes a difference.
0 Likes
userh0APv7LaMV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Not zoomed in at all. Zoomed after took the photo to show you the problem.

0 Likes
JDOGWIN
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Like here is a photo I've taken with my s20 ultra 20210925_161808_49398_1632611889.jpg
0 Likes
JDOGWIN
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Up close photos on it just tend to turn out a bit rougher than I'd like.
0 Likes
Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
Find something in very bright sunlight and try the same test. It has to do with the sensors that are so small not letting in enough light on the 108 megapixel. The normal lens uses pixel binning AI to produce a better picture quality.
0 Likes
userh0APv7LaMV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

It was pretty bright outside when I photographed the fence. Sucks having an 108mp mode just for numbers... I expected some clearer photos. My wife have better pictures with her Iphone

0 Likes
SuperOvni
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
The 108MP is very tricky, you will have to, calmly, know what environment favors you to shoot and which lens to use depending on the environment.