Original topic:

Unable to uninstall Google Messages

(Topic created: 02-14-2024 09:07 AM)
user7rRkACJ8U5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
My phone did NOT come with Google messages. I manually installed it for spam protection. However, with some of the issues lately, I have been trying to entirely remove it and reinstall it. Not just remove updates, but completely remove it from my device (S23+), whether or not I plan to reinstall. It worked the last time I had issues two weeks ago. When I went to try again today, it now refuses to let me. I can only uninstall updates and disable it. 
First of all, if my phone didn't come with it, it shouldn't be mandatory to have, regardless of Samsung updates.
Second of all, why does Samsung now mandate two messaging apps when you only use one? Both Google messages and Samsung messages are disable only apps. Both have features that the other lacks, but you can only use one at a time, making it useless for people who don't use one or the other. At least let people remove whichever they don't use so it's not wasting the limited space on the phones (since memory is no longer expandable 🙄). I just think it's pretty messed up that we already have an extremely limited amount of phone space since they took away external storage, and now they're forcing us to use even more of that phone space for useless apps. Cloud space does not equate to phone space, especially when you have to pay for it. I already paid $800+ for my phone, why should I then have to add a subscription to be able to keep things on it? 

So, does anyone know how to get the app OFF of my phone? Not disabled, GONE. REMOVED. NO LONGER PRESENT. 
Without factory resetting the phone, as I don't want to lose my settings, messages, notes (since apparently those aren't backed up anymore 🙄 just keep digging that hole deeper, Samsung), etc etc

Appreciate any attempts at help (not anything that tells me to suck it up and get over it, like the creepy emoji I've been stuck with since my phone updated, as well as the phone app making it entirely too easy to video call by mistake)
27 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
Beginning with either the S22 or S23 series (I can't remember which), Samsung changed the default messaging service to Google Messages. This means that Google Messages did indeed come preinstalled on the device. That is why you are only able to disable and cannot uninstall it entirely. It is considered a system-level app.
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I question what you are saying about it being pre-installed. On my S23 Ultra, I myself installed it and have the ability to uninstall. I installed both Phone and Messages from Google because of spam protection being so much more heightened than the Samsung apps.
user7rRkACJ8U5
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
It wasn't pre-installed on mine. The default was Samsung messages. Maybe it's a difference in carrier? But my default was Samsung. I installed Google, and two weeks ago, I could still *uninstall* google.
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Sorry Verbum, you can provide links but the fact is that I installed and can uninstall myself. What I have found with a good amount of non Samsung apps is that they are installed by the carrier and are not the full version. That can be a problem as far as uninstalling. And if you install the full version, the abridged version is still there. Samsung and other manufacturers and all carriers need to stop installing apps other than what makes the phones basically work. And if the user prefers other alternatives, provide the user with the ability to remove the installed.
I understand that, that could cause problems for many users but the way it is now, storage and processing is unnecessarily eaten up.
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S23
Hmm. I have always owned unlocked devices directly from Samsung. I can't uninstall Google Messages, even if I set my default to Samsung.
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Have you tried from the apps listing or from the Play Store? Also as I said, I've noticed some apps are not removable but they are not the full version because they are installed either by the manufacturer or the carrier. I've seen it a few times when I go into the play store, apps I thought were installed show up in the store with the option to install.
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S23
Both methods. "Uninstall" is listed as an option in the Play Store, but it just removes all updates. I'm confident these apps can be removed via ADB commands, but we do not discuss those here due to the potential to damage your device. If you choose to explore that option, ensure that you're aware of the risks and ramifications.
PoorGuy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I've looked at that option for other apps but as you said the risks are not what I want to contend with. Don't know about you but I can't and don't want to be buying new phones all the time. Formerly had a Note8 which was still in great shape. Had to upgrade only because my carrier would no longer provide Wi-Fi calling on the Note8
0 Likes