JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Update 6.1 made touchscreen unusable without S Pen

(Topic created: 04-08-2024 08:07 AM)
Lilith66
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

After the update my touch screen will not work unless I use the Spen. Samsung made a comment blaming it on Google?? But I've heard from other people it's been an issue for a couple of years so I'm curious on when they plan to fix it because this is ridiculous, I have some apps where I can only log in with my fingerprint. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

***UPDATE 4/9***

The touchscreen symptoms could be the cause of the Google Discover App. It can impact the functionality of the Galaxy device's home screen or other apps delaying in response.  We recommend changing the default news app first. 

Try the following: 

- From the home screen, touch and hold a blank portion (if you must use the S-Pen) of the screen, and swipe right. (The Page will be split between Google Discover and Samsung News).

- Choose Samsung News. The next time you swipe right from the home screen, your designed option will appear whether it's Google Discover or Samsung News. 

- Next, you'll need to update the Google app from the Play Store to version 15.11

- Then perform a simple reboot of the phone by turning it completely off then back on.

The symptoms should disappear at this point.  If not you can try the workaround posted here: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-offers-temporary-fix-galaxy-s23-touchscreen-issue-one-ui-6-1/

If that doesn't help, I would suggest contacting Samsung support for a service ticket to either send in your device to get it fixed or take it to an Authorized Samsung repair center 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service 

**A software reflash can also help.

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

View solution in context

338 Replies
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy S23

Here's a article that should help until a permanent fix is available

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-offers-temporary-fix-galaxy-s23-touchscreen-issue-one-ui-6-1/

If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

0 Likes
Lilith66
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I already tried that and other troubleshooting
MissKris123
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
This doesn't work. I've tried all the solutions and work around but I'm still having to use my SPen
Solution
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy S23

***UPDATE 4/9***

The touchscreen symptoms could be the cause of the Google Discover App. It can impact the functionality of the Galaxy device's home screen or other apps delaying in response.  We recommend changing the default news app first. 

Try the following: 

- From the home screen, touch and hold a blank portion (if you must use the S-Pen) of the screen, and swipe right. (The Page will be split between Google Discover and Samsung News).

- Choose Samsung News. The next time you swipe right from the home screen, your designed option will appear whether it's Google Discover or Samsung News. 

- Next, you'll need to update the Google app from the Play Store to version 15.11

- Then perform a simple reboot of the phone by turning it completely off then back on.

The symptoms should disappear at this point.  If not you can try the workaround posted here: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-offers-temporary-fix-galaxy-s23-touchscreen-issue-one-ui-6-1/

If that doesn't help, I would suggest contacting Samsung support for a service ticket to either send in your device to get it fixed or take it to an Authorized Samsung repair center 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service 

**A software reflash can also help.

IanWill
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

None of these 'solutions' worked. This doesn't feel like a solution at all, it feels more like someone is passing the blame. This issue occurred immediately after installing the OS update. This is an issue with the update, not Google. I refuse to contact support again to just have them attempt to sell me a new phone. It's not tech support, it's a marketing and sales team.  

Taking my phone to an Authorized Samsung repair store to be charged through the nose for an issue that was introduced by the company that damaged my device the the first place is analogous to a tyre garage throwing nails on the road. 

Release a hotfix or lose customers. It's as simple as that. 

SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S23

@IanWill , Did you try the latest update to the pinned accepted solution on the first page? If so what were the results after performing those steps with the Google Discover app? 

Also, with software reflashes depending on where you go, most will offer this as a free service.  I would recommend if you go that route,  visit a Samsung experience shop in your area. 

0 Likes
grisslyman
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I have tried all of the solutions including the pinned solution. None of them have any affect. This is clearly an OS issue, why is Samsung claiming this has anything at all to do with the Google Discover app?

Also the software reflash solution is really not ideal as:
- It is not guaranteed to be free ("depending on where you go")
- Not a guaranteed solution
- Massively inconvenient

Are you working on a fix at all? I've opened a personal support ticket also and have received zero traction
sleepynick
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Hi, will there be a patch for this issue in the near future?
IanWill
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Yes I have tried all suggested solutions. I'm also not sure why Google Discover would effect the lock screen prior to the Google app being loaded anyway. Plus, this is clearly an update issue and not a Google issue, as the problem started when the OS was updated. There was no problem prior to the update. The screen is simply not being patched. There is no version number being displayed in the BIOS for the screen. The version number merely displays NG, which I can only assume means Not Genuine. This patch have been put in place to prevent customers from using aftermarket screens. There's no wonder the patch was released on April 1st.  I feel such a fool for updating now. 

On top of the fact that people have rolled back their versions to the 6.0 OS and, surprise-surprise! The problem disappears. 

All Samsung Experience stores are miles from where I live, and I can only assume these stores that offer  'free service' are as rare as rocking horse droppings.

The most recent patch still hasn't address this issue. I don't want a work around, I don't want to have to travel across the country to a store that 'might' be able to fix my issue. I just want a patch that fixes the issue that this company has put in place from an update they released.  My screen was working just find before the 6.1 update. It now does not work after the 6.1 update. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the update is the problem here.

Fix the problem, or lose customers.