Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-05-2024 09:12 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
Pafid007
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Of course this is unacceptable! I have the same issue. But like with any other new Samsung phone, there are glitches. Let's wait for fixes. This phone is like 2 days alive. 

Ar2r
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

PLEASE SAMSUNG don't listen to people telling that the screen is dull or less vibrant itā€™s finally good! That was the reason why I switched back to iPhone since all screen modes natural / vivid etc was badly calibrated and white point too warm or too cold. But I was playing with 24 ultra in samsung store and my god finally when choosing natural mode the colors are great and white blance on point NOT TOO WARM as it used to be on natural mode. I work as graphic designer and color accuracy on screen is very important to me - so because of that I pre-ordered s24 ultra. Please calibrate your screen further (most importantly the natural mode and please keep the white balance on point not too warm as it used to be on previous models) since I always felt like iPhones are better in that regard WHICH IS SILLY since samsung making screen for iPhones, byeee šŸ™‚

0 Likes
Pafid007
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

This is major flaw and you can be even super graphics editor. Your business! But users have the right to modify display according to their wishes. If someone who spent lots of money on phone wants to have very warm colours, they should have it. Especially that there is no difference between vivid and natural. 

aQuasar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

You are a creator and I am a home user and that is not comparable. As a professional you will probably also use other equipment and not a smartphone.

Edus71
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Beside the fact that before there was an option to switch to a warmer reproduction.

0 Likes
userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
then keep your phone on natural then? Why can't others use vibrant as we prefer it. watch how many returns this phone gets if they don't fix this issue
0 Likes
Edus71
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Read carefully,  the option to switch to a more realistic color reproduction was always  present in previous generations! It's about options, they just took it out... You are forgiven. 

0 Likes
bwan1011
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I am also going to say that if you like the Natural colors... you could just change that in settings. We want vivid mode back
0 Likes
userEipzspkQRB
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't think this is hardware at all. I just got my phone and noticed the issue right away. I added a deep black wallpaper with some vibrant colors I created using mid journey and the colors are as they should be. People saying they talked to a Samsung rep and that rep told them it was screen coating is irrelevant. I was in wireless for years and I can tell you these reps know as much as you do. They are taking their best guess just like everyone else.
aQuasar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I returned my smartphone because this is not a software related problem. It is a conscious choice on Samsung's part to opt for a different setting. Fortunately, there are other Android alternatives.

0 Likes