JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No message notification sound

(Topic created: 10-14-2019 01:03 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have no sound when I receive messages.  All other sounds work and the badge notification works along with the AOD screen notification.  I tried the "Smart Things" fix and all others listed to no avail....

Samsung_yq6sz98
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Battery save mode turn it off

0 Likes
userHXrqmJ0Fpq
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the Note 10+ with the same issue. My wife had the S8+ with the same issue. The only way I could TEMPORARY fix the issue was to perform RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT under Settings and reset. Then all my sounds would return. I do own a Gear S3 and I can disconnect it and my sound still doesn't work. Only the reset fixes it. I will say it is an app possibly causing the issue because I have since gave my mother my Note 8(which also did it btw) and she hasn't once said to me that she has this issue. So recap, notification icons, phone rings, no sound for email/text messages. Can even go to change sound for text and the preview sound doesn't happen.

0 Likes
userrfhQsLYI6h
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Go to settings,  select Sound and Vibrations,  then select Volume and make sure your Notifications volume is on. 

userMCGjx7dTtR
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

For the past week or so, the majority of my notifications will not work at all.  The main concerning one is the phone calendar app notifications, as I have everything synced to that.  So if I have a meeting or have to be somewhere, I don't know about it unless I personally go into the calendar app and see what's going on for that day/time.  Sometimes the notifications will come, but it will be all at once and several hours later.  And then when i close them out, they'll come back over and over again.

I'm having the same issues with other apps as well.  Things like Instagram, Amazon, etc... 

I have the latest update, but these issues didn't start happening until about a week after I installed that.  I've taken my phone to Best Buy (where I bought it from 3 months ago), but they can't seem to find anything wrong with it.

Someone please help me!

Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userMCGjx7dTtR wrote:

For the past week or so, the majority of my notifications will not work at all.  The main concerning one is the phone calendar app notifications, as I have everything synced to that.  So if I have a meeting or have to be somewhere, I don't know about it unless I personally go into the calendar app and see what's going on for that day/time.  Sometimes the notifications will come, but it will be all at once and several hours later.  And then when i close them out, they'll come back over and over again.

I'm having the same issues with other apps as well.  Things like Instagram, Amazon, etc... 

I have the latest update, but these issues didn't start happening until about a week after I installed that.  I've taken my phone to Best Buy (where I bought it from 3 months ago), but they can't seem to find anything wrong with it.

Someone please help me!

@userMCGjx7dTtR 

Optimize Battery usage:

Go to settings>tap on magnifying glass> and type Optimize, then select Optimize battery usage. Once there, tap on Apps not optimized and select All. From the list find your apps and if it is optimized(meaning toggle if ON), then turn it OFF

userMCGjx7dTtR
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Unfortunately, this did not work.  I tried it exactly as stated above, but I'm still not receiving notifications from certain apps.  Some apps work (texts, calls, etc...), but still nothing from Calendar.  Others come in hours later. 

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Have you verified the notification permissions for the apps in question? Also, verify they are not listed in Sleeping apps. You can also try clearing the cache partition of the phone. 

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userjc0Pws5AZH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I simply install "Textra" optional sms app. and everything works fine.

@SamsungRei wrote:

Have you verified the notification permissions for the apps in question? Also, verify they are not listed in Sleeping apps. You can also try clearing the cache partition of the phone. 

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

0 Likes
finfan313
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

There is no need to go through that massive reset and the work that goes along with it. All that needs to happen is to go to settings, apps, messaging, storage and clear cache and clear data. I had been working on this for a while and this worked quickly without disturbing all my other phone settings. This also did not delete any of my text at all.

0 Likes
finfan313
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I was having the same problem. And I looked through all these fixes and none of them worked. However I contacted T-Mobile and I found the fix. On the Galaxy S20. I assumed this will work for other   Phones.

So go to settings, apps, messaging, storage, select Clear cache and clear data. The sound for the text will then work. This does not clear any of your text messaging at all. Then you can also go in and change what the sound is.  I saw one solution on here that took you to a link that I found to be very suspicious. So be very careful about which solution you choose to do.