Original topic:

Phone does not make any notification sounds

(Topic created: 09-05-2023 05:05 PM)
iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

In the last 24 hours, my phone (Galaxy S21 5G) has stopped making notification sounds.  I get the notifications, and it vibrates briefly, but there are no sounds with the notification.  I've checked all the obvious things including: 

• Verified the phone is not on mute or vibrate, and the volume is up to max on Ringtone, Media, Notifications, and System
  • Checked that there are no App settings that mute or lower the volume
  • Do Not Disturb is not on
  • Separate app sound is off
  • I'm updated to the latest Android version (Software version = G991U1UES8EWG3)
  • I've restarted the phone
  • I've reset all the Settings to default
  • I've cleared the cache and data for the app I need most (Opsgenie)
  • The speakers on the phone work (media sounds play)

Another odd thing is that when I go to Settings > Sounds and vibration > Notifications where you can select the sound, nothing plays when I select different sounds. It does work on Settings > Sounds and Vibrations > Ringtone.  I've restarted the phone in Safe Mode, and this behavior is unchanged.

When I go to Volume settings, and adjust the volume on the different types of sound, Ringtone and Media always play when the volume slider is adjusted.  Notifications will play once, if I change it's volume after Ringtone or Media, but then stop for all future adjustments until I adjust Ringtone or Media again.  System never makes any sound.

I'm specifically concerned about the app Opsgenie, since I need to hear on-call alerts for work, but none of the app notifications are making any sounds.

37 Replies
Jontero12
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I Had same issue, but found solution in my case. i Have samsung watch and there is setting in wear app settings -> notification -> disable phone notification. That was enable, i disable that and now my message sounds work.

0 Likes
Members_uuNVeTz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Worked for me.

0 Likes
DarrenGraham
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

My S21 has started the same issue recently. Very frustrating. Hoping there's a fix.

0 Likes
userJzohFgkILc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Not sure if anyone is still having this issue, but it started for me after the last update. I tried going into the Notifications setting and changed the Notification sound and still had the issue. Just fixed it though in case this helps anyone else.

Go to Notifications>App Notifications>Messages. For some reason the Alerts was set to Silent so no matter how much I adjusted the other settings it overrode it. I changed to Allow sound and Vibration ad it instantly started working.

iisai
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Mine is still happening sporadically. None of the proposed remedies ha e fixed it permanently. I do think there's some process that is silently crashing somewhere, so even if whatever it is gets reset and occasionally allows notification noises, it's not reliable.

0 Likes
Cincinnasti
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I've been having this exact same issue for months... Even the guy at the phone repair store couldn't figure it out and thought it was probably a software issue that would be fixed in a coming update. 2 updates later and I still can't hear any notifications. Someone please help šŸ˜­

0 Likes
Shiloh615
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Any other fixes yet? My BT is off and still no notification sounds after trying all other options. Ring sounds work ironically. This is VERY frustrating.
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Just checking.  Do you have a Samsung Smart Watch and is Wear->Watch Settings->Notifications->Show Phone Notifications on Watch->Show alerts even when phone is in use? 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes