Something in the background on my phone is turning off my Wi-Fi. Causing massive data usage. What on my Galaxy s21 Plus could manipulate the Wi-Fi status in the background.? What would I need to check that could do that?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi JimPolk, thank you for reaching out to us on this. I can see the concern and frustration of having your Wi-Fi turned off on the phone constantly. In order to see what the underlying cause is, I would first try clearing the device's cache partition. You can use these steps:
• Ensure the device is powered off. If the device is unresponsive/frozen, press and hold the Power button for approximately 10 seconds or until the device power cycles.
• Press and hold the Volume Up button and the Home button.
• While continuing to hold the Home and Volume Up buttons, press and hold the Power button until 'RECOVERY BOOTING' appears in the upper left then release all buttons.
• Select wipe cache partition. Utilize the Volume Up/Down buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
• Select reboot system now. Option is highlighted, utilize the Power button to select.
If the cache clear didn't help, alot of times resetting network settings will help with general connectivity problems. Go to Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset Network Settings > tap Reset to confirm.
If that didn't help the intermittent Wi-Fi connection, a third-party application you recently installed could be the culprit behind this behavior. You can use this guide for Safe Mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/
If the behavior persists under Safe Mode, it may be time to give a factory reset a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/
Also, for general Wi-Fi troubleshooting, this guide contains some of the steps I listed here and more: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001559/#basic-wi-fi-troubleshooting-on-a-pho...
If the troubleshooting is not helpful, and your Internet Service Provider/modem/router is not responsible and working on every other device as intended, the phone will need to be evaluated by a certified technician. For service in the U.S., you can use the following link to find a list of service centers near you that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.
For service outside of the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html
Those ae generic instructions, disregard the Home button reference.
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor