Original topic:

Volume not working with remote

(Topic created: 06-08-2017 07:46 PM)
Chrisv909
Asteroid
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

TV was working fine yesterday I turn it on today and I had an issue with the volume not working on my Samsung remote nor on my Directv remote. So me being the guy I am I tried to figure it out on my own. Googled all possible answers, factory reset my TV. After no positive results I contacted Samsung through Live Chat. We went through the unplug TV for 60 seconds process and that didnt work. He then had me remove my batteries from my Samsung remote and hold the power button for 40-50 seconds then reinstall batteries and that seemed to work for both my TV remote and my Directv remote and I just did that process with my TV remote and it's been going strong for hours already....Hope this helps

JUMP TO SOLUTION
106 Replies
userYvZnsAAdSB
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Sound just started sticking on my 3 year old tv. Just tried holding the back and pause/play buttons about 10" from tv, and it seems to have worked. Thank you. 

0 Likes
userCtiOmbxF8t
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Thanks, nothing would work so I tried your solution.  Works great!  So far, so good!  Thanks again 🙂

0 Likes
usergGr3FimpgF
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Awesome!   Thank you very much...read your advise and it worked!  

Remove batteries...hold down power button down 40 sec...install batteries and ...your good to go!  

userniUO23kYEA
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I'm having a similar problem with my 40" samsung.  It's a coupla years old.  Sorry I don't have the model number.  There are no physical volume buttons on the TV, just a touch strip on front that's VERY hard to see.

Worked fine for a few years.  Just last week I noticed that intermittently the TV remote doesn't work at all, and the volume control on the apple TV (4th gen, uses IR) stopped working too.  I've had that for a while as well, always flawless, but there have been some recent software updates to the apple tv.

anyhoo, after about 20 minutes, the volume control on the apple tv will suddenly start to work, and the general remote will function normally as well.  This is just with watching something on the apple tv.  doesn't matter which app.  We have an old Xbox 360 attached as well, had it for 10 years.  works fine otherwise.

Interestingly, yesterday I discoverred that if I go up to the TV and touch the + button on the tape strip it will raise the volume (have to hold it down), and after that the remote seems to immediately work again.

I noticed that in the apple TV settings for the remote volume control it lets me chose between "auto" and "IR" for the control, and it's set to "auto".  Not sure if that's a new option.  the volume control works through IR, not the HDMI connection.  So I wonder if the apple tv is getting confused and locking up the remote functions on the TV at times?  Is that even a thing?

0 Likes
userYaMLecC6uC
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Having the same problem - volume locks and neither remote will work. If you flick around with the mute/volume button - holding in down for mute and then moving it around, the volume will change again. There seems to be something locking the volume. It’s happened to me a few times now and I’ve only had the installed about six weeks. I’m ready to take it back to Costco. My previous Samsung continues to work great. This new Smart TV, not so much. 

userAP2GEE5vQf
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

We just figured this out. If you put your thumb under the button and push up towards the top of the remote, it will turn up. Put your thumb above the button and push down to turn volume down. Push the button straight in to switch between mute and not. Not very intuitive, but once  you've got it, it seems to work fine.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

We're glad that you figured it out!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userHognOoLsxh
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Hey moderator - we should not have to figure this out. You have a major issue as it’s happening to a huge group of users. YOU should be addressing this with a fix for us. We should not have to reset our remotes every other day. When will this be addressed?

user0cxq1c6ttR
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Worked when all the previous fixes failed.  Thanks!

0 Likes
userW88hxKo8mV
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Thanks

That's what I needed!

Using the thumb up & or down !!!!!

0 Likes