JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Update 6.1 made touchscreen unusable without S Pen

(Topic created: 04-21-2024 11:08 AM)
Lilith66
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

After the update my touch screen will not work unless I use the Spen. Samsung made a comment blaming it on Google?? But I've heard from other people it's been an issue for a couple of years so I'm curious on when they plan to fix it because this is ridiculous, I have some apps where I can only log in with my fingerprint. 

336 Replies
ChristinaCvS
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
Glad to hear that you got it working again!
0 Likes
Sebaddz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

My phone bricked after install 6.1 Samsung  have to change motherboard lost 500gb pictures  thanks Samsung

0 Likes
Themgoroth
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Still no solution for this?? any software update??? or just need to replace the screen again trying to get OEM?

0 Likes
Lilith66
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Unfortunately you do have to get your screen replaced. It was the only way mine got fixed but I was lucky enough to get it done for free because the person who did it sold me 3rd party and said it was samsung
0 Likes
usernpioyh3fgf54
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Samsung is very good at the blame game, They blame everybody for all of their problems.. Even the fact that I can't prevent updates from downloading no matter what I do they blame it on my cell phone carrier AT&T even though they're not the ones who write the software.. Samsung is an absolute joke these days No customer service buggy software no fixes no help basically they just take your money and don't give a **bleep** about you after that

serggo3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

I have the same problem. Occasionally the touchscreen did not work, which was solved by rebooting. This morning something was updated, there was a short optimization of applications, and the touchscreen stopped working altogether. I rolled back to update 2024-03-01 (update before 6.1), the problem remained. I rolled back even further to update 2023-10-01 (android 14 update), the problem remained. I updated the smartphone itself to the latest version - the touchscreen worked only after a reboot. I continue to observe. If the problem happens again, I will roll back to Android 13.

P.S Resetting the smartphone through settings and recovery (wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache)doesn't help.

UPD: The problem with the touchscreen turning off remains, I'll take it in for repair tomorrow. I'll never go back to Samsung again.

UPD: I discovered the real reason for the touchscreen failure. The problem is not software, it is firmware. At a random moment in time, the TSP module (touchscreen module) loses its firmware. Solved by installing/updating the firmware manually, through the service menu *#2663# (TSP FW Update (general)). 

Part's TSP FW version: STFFFFFFFF - isn't normal.

photo_2024-04-22_22-52-56.jpgphoto_2024-04-22_22-52-52.jpg

Samsung programmers need to find the real reason that causes the TSP firmware to be cleared. This could be a problem deeply embedded in the operating system, Google's security systems, or (the worst case scenario) a hardware failure of the TSP chip.

Badiee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks for the additional info. No one should have to do all that to get their screen to work after the vendor intentionally breaks it. I'm in IT and while it is possible to get the screen working via workarounds etc., I refuse based on principle. That said, my phone guy said that the OEM screen is still backordered however, there's a new version of aftermarket screens that work with 6.1 update. Crossing fingers that will solve the issue. Btw, to your point @serggo3, the new aftermarket version must have the correct firmware for it to work. I'm having it changed out later today and will update the community afterwards.
gueshkiller66
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

hi badiee , please do you have more infos about the new aftermarket screens that works with the new oneui 6.1 ? because i'm stucked same with a non oem screen and then if you know what shop have these new screens i'm interested , thanks and good luck to everybody

0 Likes
Badiee
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Update!
I replaced the aftermarket screen with another aftermarket screen and I'm using th e touchscreen to write this. It does appear that they (aftermarket screens providers) have update their firmware on the touchscreen to now work with update 6.1. It's important to ask your phone person if the screen works with update 6.1 . It's a thing now, so they know the difference. I don't have the specific name of the screen that works with 6.1 but they do exist now. For the record I was willing to get my screen replaced with a refurbished OEM but even that was not available so this was a good alternative and cheaper obviously. My screen functions are back to normal. Hope everyone else can locate these newer screens. Btw, my phone guy just took the old screen back and replaced with a new one without charging me which means the vendor might be taking them back to update firmware? Hope this helps.
0 Likes
gueshkiller66
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

ok thanks for the infos !!

0 Likes