Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
Options
Home Theater

@userfcidujYoIl wrote:

What number are you calling to get in touch with Samsung?  Our BR player has been bricked in the boot loop since the 18th as well, and is how we stream our whole home system.  Guess we might as well send it off, we can't do anything the way it is now anyway.  Need a label, though, so how do we get in touch with them on the phone?

1-800-samsung. 

userxqcgXPq6al
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Yes, please give updates. Thank you.

0 Likes
Greyman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I'd suggest, and this goes for anyone who hasn't already done so, that you would be better to do what a number of others on here have done, including myself, and just report the issue directly to Samsung.    They appear to be arranging to get one of their repair partners to apply the necessary fix, which would suggest that a customer-applied fix is going to be very unlikely.

They are also going to be very unlikely indeed to make those arrangements en-masse via the forum, so you could await them telling everyone to report their fault to Support, whenever that might be, or you could just get it over with and report it now.

Options
Home Theater

@Greyman wrote:

They are also going to be very unlikely indeed to make those arrangements en-masse via the forum, so you could await them telling everyone to report their fault to Support, whenever that might be, or you could just get it over with and report it now.

Exactly.  There must be literally thousands of bricked HT and Blue Ray players.  Imagine how many owners don't go on this forum and are just assuming their device bit the dust.

Although it is probably unethical for Samsung not to  make a global formal announcement, they certainly don't want to open the flood gates of thousands of devices coming in for repair.  Keep in mind Samsung exited the Blu Ray market over a year ago.  Can you imagine what they will be faced with  if they can't repair these bricks.  They probably don't have replacments; old or new.

userLqpD1QVTIF
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@userBJZ6yOzqs9 wrote:

Although it is probably unethical for Samsung not to  make a global formal announcement, they certainly don't want to open the flood gates of thousands of devices coming in for repair.  Keep in mind Samsung exited the Blu Ray market over a year ago.  Can you imagine what they will be faced with  if they can't repair these bricks.  They probably don't have replacments; old or new.

Since they are no longer making Blu ray players it's almost like we should just go to another company.  Who knows how much longer they will support our players or if this will happen again.

0 Likes
ayer60
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Information for the US users.  I just got off the phone with a Samsung support rep.  I was wating for approximately 10-15 min.  The representative quickly identified the issue as the one affecting users gloablly.  He opened a service request and stated, that the unit will be repaired at no cost, even though the warranty expired years ago.  The process is as follows: they will email me a UPS label to print.  I will pack the MAIN UNIT ONLY (!), put the label, and drop-off at a UPS location.  Turnaround promised is around 7 days.

Good luck, and I thank this forum for the information and moral support!

userxqcgXPq6al
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Thanks for advice. I will try that, too.

0 Likes
userRY8ciIg6MV
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Why is this marked as solved when there is not a solution? This blue ray player is the only way for my father-in-law to access his Netflix account.  It has been broken since June 19, 2020.  Samsung needs to fix this now

0 Likes
user8pdg20HlVp
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Greetings.

On 18 June 2020, my J5700 began acting as if it was trying to load a disc.  It would do nothing else.  I tried rebooting, removing power, and resetting the unit to no avail.  I opened it up to see if there was some sort of mechanical issue, but found nothing.  I did a bit of research online in the hope that I might find some information to help.  Nothing found.  I contemplated buying a new Samsung Blu-ray player, but decided it was not the best idea.  I then decided to purchase the same model on EBay.  The used unit arrived and worked fine up until I loaded the newest firmware via USB.  The unit then began constantly rebooting.  This was on 23 June.  It was then I went back online and found this thread.   What is of note is that my original unit had been set to manual updates since I purchased it, and I manually loaded the latest firmware many, many months ago.  Seems like a time bomb to me.  I am patiently (not without some angst) awaiting official word from Samsung regarding a resolution to this issue.  I do not see contacting Samsung at this juncture to be the best course of action.   Regardless, it should be interesting how this all plays out.  Best of luck to all.

0 Likes
Options
Home Theater

@user8pdg20HlVp wrote:

...  I do not see contacting Samsung at this juncture to be the best course of action...

Why?  I did, and basically was told the only way to fix my 2 units is to accept the free shipping label and free repair at Samsung Repair facility in New Jersey.  I will be dropping mine off at UPS within a day.

On the basic Blu Ray player models BD-Jxxxx; I don't see how they can possibly be updated online or by a USB device.  The error state they are in does not allow them to come out of the continuous rebooting of the DVD drive long enough to establish a network connection or allow the user time to select USB software update from the on screen menu.  I've tried.  I downloaded the last firmware .RUF file, copied to a USB stick and tried, but like I said, the player just won't respond.

I believe this is why Samsung finally came to the conclusion that the only way to fix these is to have them sent in to a repair facility.