JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Monitor won't stay off in sleep mode

(Topic created: 02-16-2023 07:11 PM)
msimmons99
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

My 27" FT45 monitor (LF27T450FQNXGO) goes into sleep mode and wakes up when it's supposed to. But while in sleep mode it will repeatedly turn on for a few seconds and back off. Continuously and regularly maybe every 10 seconds. What's on the screen is just what it was when it went to sleep; nothing changes there.

What's turning it back on? I've been turning the power off to make it stop at night or it will do this all night.

Thanks!

119 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! This does seem strange with your monitor doing this.  I would recommend trying the troubleshooting steps below to help with this! 

1. Open Power & sleep settings.

On your PC, click the Start menu in the task bar. Begin to type Edit power plan and click it when it appears.

2. Adjust your Screen and Sleep settings.

Choose your desired time for both Screen and Sleep depending on whether the PC is plugged in or running on battery power.

3. Change advanced power settings.

If your Screen and Sleep settings are already how you want them, but are not working correctly, click Change advanced power settings.

4. Change the sleep power options.

In the Power Options window, click to expand the Sleep node. Click and expand Sleep after. Click On battery (Minutes) and then change the minutes. If the time is already what you want, change it to another time, and then change it back. Do the same for Plugged in. When finished, click Apply, and then click OK

If you still have issues after performing the previous steps, contact Microsoft for further assistance, as this function is completely controlled by Windows.

msimmons99
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I was told to adjust the computer power and sleep settings. This is a desktop and it's not hibernating or turning off (Win10). All the monitors I've used (two at  a time) go blank when they don't receive a new signal for a few minutes, including this one. And it does go off like every other monitor.

The problem is that it will regularly turn back on for a few seconds with nothing happening with the computer. When this happens, the screen is uniformly dull white (gray), i.e., nothing displayed, just lit up. I first noticed this in the middle of the night when I noticed a light from my office hours after leaving the computer.

There have been two different monitors used in my dual monitor setup alongside this Samsung monitor and neither has shown this behavior despite receiving the same signal from the computer. I've had several other monitors on the same computer. Unless there is an OS setting specific to this  model Samsung monitor (and not other Samsung monitors I've used), it's not the OS causing this. And the gray isn't coming from the computer.

I've tried the monitor settings for Off Timer and Eco Timer. But those turn the monitor off. The issue is it's turning back on with no input from the computer. I haven't ever seen this behavior with any other monitor, including the other monitors that have been in use at the same time as this one.

Any other ideas? I know, it's weird. I've supported a lot of users going back to the earliest PCs so I've seen a lot of systems and the settings and I've never seen this before.

Thanks!

Mike

P.S. If you can tell me why I'm not able to reply to you in my own topic that would be appreciated.

P.P.S. I'm also getting errors when posting that there is invalid HTML in the message. When I look at the HTML there is indeed a bunch of garbage in there and it posts when I remove it.

Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello, Mike! Thank you for reaching back out to us. The settings that we provided above are the only troubleshooting that we can advise specifically for this. If it's still doing it after adjusting those settings, we would recommend contacting Microsoft to see if there are some setting changes that you can make in the OS to prevent this from occurring. 

If any of our Ambassadors have any ideas please chime in! @LongHiker @Rydah @bill-e @user_ams007 @Geno71 @VerbumVeritum @Clf @d_spi @GaryB82 @Mari_K @KnightRiderRalph @RedDragon @Leinz @MarkC609

PS, thank you for bringing the HTML error to our attention, we have already escalated this to our community engineers to look into further 🙂 

msimmons99
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks for the reply.

So this hasn't ever been seen before? I was hoping there was something known about it. It's very monitor specific, as I said, so I couldn't see pointing a finger at the OS.

So just to prove that point, I disconnected the input to the monitor and guess what? It doesn't do it when it's not connected to the computer.

So there's some interaction between the monitor and the OS that's causing this to happen -- with this monitor and no other -- even when they're both connected to the same computer. I'll fidget with the settings again to see if I can find something but if anyone has some idea why this is happening with this monitor only (and apparently no one else's monitor of the same model) I'd appreciate it.

I'd still want to say the monitor should work right with the OS just like every other, but I doubt I could warranty it without something more than this.

0 Likes
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

Is the monitor connected to a PC that is on? the monitor will wakeup if it receive a signal from a source device.

0 Likes
msimmons99
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

RedDragon, it's connected to a PC along with another monitor in a dual monitor extended desktop setup. Only this monitor exhibits this behavior, unlike any other I've had on this system with it or any other I've had on this system before. I've tried various power/sleep settings and there is nothing known coming from the computer but we're looking into something running in the background (though why it would affect only this monitor is still a mystery). Details are described in my other posts.

Thanks.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory
Hi Mike I was wondering if you have checked the power and sleep options in the windows control panel to make sure that the monitor is properly set to turn off in the settings for battery and plugged in windows control panel menu , there is also a menu for Additional power settings that allows choose when the monitor turns off, please also check the settings for your screen saver and make sure that isn't causing the problem
0 Likes
msimmons99
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is a desktop so there are no power settings used. Sleep settings are set. I've been through all the settings. There's on screen saver.

The problem isn't the monitor turning off. The problem is the monitor turning on occasionally for a few seconds at a time while the computer is asleep. It's all described in my two posts above.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory
Hi Mike even though you are using a desktop there are still power settings for your computer, also check and see if you have wake on lan enabled on your network card, this will sometimes turn on the monitor
0 Likes