Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

...it was working fine last night.

2,664 Replies
Options
Home Theater

@JordanChadHungate wrote:

I would actually like to hear from someone whom has recieved their player back in working order before I send mine off.

I initially felt the same way, but realized that my two BD-JM57's aren't useful for anything besides a door stop, so I was just putting myself deeper into the growing queue of bricks.  I dropped my 2 off at UPS this past Saturday.

I just checked the tracking, it will arrive at Samsungs repair late Wednesday.  And based on what I've read about turn around time, I might see it by end of next week, if I ever see them again at all.

Oops, edit that, I forgot about they might take their 4th of July Holiday Friday or next Monday, so I suspect I won't see them until the week after next (if at all)

JordanChadHungate
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userBJZ6yOzqs9.

Logical point. Can't argue with that. Live long and prosper

0 Likes
Patrick1963
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@JordanChadHungate 

My help ticket had an expiration date. Seven days, I believe. So I was not given the freedom to delay.

Patrick, NC

0 Likes
squeegie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

My worry for you if you do that you might get left hanging if they run out of parts or something.  I thought about waiting but it really doesn't seem like they will have a FRU solution to this issue or they probably wouldn't start processing RMA's.

Clearly it's your call but what else are you going to do with your unit in the meantime?

Mine was my Home Theatre solution and using TV speakers plus not being able to stream on a perfectly good older Sony TV is annoying.  Yes I do also watch Blu-Rays as well.  Streaming in our area is not the same.

0 Likes
riskybzns
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@Big-Bad-Brad wrote:

Sure.. but until that time happens, I'm going to take advantage of it and get it fixed.  Besides, I fully expect the unit to die some day.  Age, wear and tear..  But when several hundred thousand of them go dead at the same time, world wide.... well, either they are gonna fix their mess up, or I'll join in on the Class Action suit.  To me, this is the same as if they came into my house and destroyed my player.  

not only the amount of them, but the several however many models were effected.

do we actually know this was samsungs fault? i've been wondering if someone didn't hack into samsung and force this to happen.

0 Likes
useraS9oem4gLL
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

You are right....it must be a Samsung Ethical thing...customers trusts...this brand...or not ????

0 Likes
userGIm2cprNtl
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

For anyone that wants a faster solution time, go to https://www.samsung.com/us/support/ and click the customer service chat. 

Have these things ready during the chat session:

(you'll need to type in your problem - blu-ray player booting loop

model number of your player

the serial number off the back of the player

they will want to know where you made your purchase too

When they email you a service ticket, they want you to upload a copy of your bill of sale/receipt or they can cancel your service ticket if you can't come up with proof of sale (I bought my blu-ray player in Nov. 2015, I was lucky I was able to find a copy of my order).  Some people here say it isn't needed, so I don't know. Maybe they'll let it slide if you don't have one.

Also they'll ask you what trouble-shooting measures you already tried; as if they don't already know there is a huge problem with who knows how many players becoming bricks. 

But Samsung's customer chat service was really helpful and with using the chat instead of calling in, I was able to get everything done in about 10-15 minutes. Hopefully they can get my player fixed up fast. Good luck to everyone with this same problem. 

0 Likes
userzcMfdkNLif
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I went to your link and tried chatting with customer support and here's the response: "Hi, this is XXX a Samsung expert and a Samsung user as well. Samsung technical staff have been working to quickly develop the best solution for customers with Blu-ray players affected by a boot loop issue. Thank you." 

I responded with hearing about putting in a service ticket or work order and the response: "For this one you don't need to bring it to a technician or repair yet. Instead, let's wait until Samsung finished the process on fixing your bluray players." 

No ETA on time-frame but we'll be notified if you registered your Blu-ray with Samsung. 

0 Likes
user8pdg20HlVp
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Thanks.  Where are you located?

0 Likes
MoparDude
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Let me echo what a few others have been saying regarding the boot loop problem: Don’t wait for Samsung to offer a downloadable software fix rather, contact them directly to service the player. I did, and wanted to  confirm it was a pleasant and productive experience. First of all, I used the text chat function to contact support. After answering a few automated questions (i.e. why I called, etc.) in less than 2 minutes I was “talking” to a live agent. He opened the session by asking a single troubleshooting question: had I tried plugging the unit into different electrical outlets. My reply was that I did, as well as  holding the eject button in for 15 seconds on the units (all without success). That was enough apparently. He then initiated a ticket authorizing a free mail-in repair of the player.

To complete the ticket he needed the following info: 1. Full Name, 2. Contact Number, 3. Alternate Contact Number (If any), 4. Email Address, 5. Shipping Address with Zip Code, 6. Place of purchase, 7. Model and serial number and 8. Preferred time to contact.

In my case I had two units, a BD-J5100 and a BD-J5700. After submitting the required info, after a couple of minutes, I received three separate emails: the first two, establishing separate reference numbers, confirming repairs for both units. The third email contained links to print out pre-paid UPS shipping labels for each unit at Samsung’s NJ repair center. My only other question was turnaround time. His response was: “It will take about 5 to  7 business days from when you ship us the product to when you will receive the repaired product back in the mail. This includes shipping both ways.”  We shall see. I boxed both players separately, and took them to my local UPS store today.

In all, I was lucky. The total time I spent online was less than 20 minutes. I concur with other posters: if you want to speed up the process, create a word document a head of time containing answers to the required questions. That way you simply have to copy and paste the info into the text box.

My only concern: after ending the chat with agent, I did receive two follow-up automated text messages requesting purchase “receipts” for each of the players with the warning that if I didn’t submit them (i.e. upload a photo copies of each  to a listed URL) the repair request would be cancelled. After all these years, I don’t have receipts so this will be interesting (given it’s out of warranty work). If this is “critical”, I would have expecteded the agent to have mentioned it, but he did not.  I did register the BD-J5100 on the Samsung site shortly after purchasing it. (Just can’t remember if I uploaded it at that time, but after looking high and low I can’t find it now.)  For the BJ-J5700, it was a gift, so I have now idea where it was purchased from and certainly don’t have a receipt. (Nor did I officially register it).   Fingers crossed!!!   

0 Likes